It’s that time again, the time to set goals and make resolutions.
I guess not everyone realizes what the difference between a goal and a resolution is. A goal is a specific thing that you’d like to accomplish, like losing so many pounds or cleaning your garage. A resolution is something that you resolve to do every day. IE: eating healthier, being more compassionate, etc…
Lifehacker recently posted that “The key is to know which changes in your life should be attainable goals and which should be permanent resolutions.” I think that when you begin a new year it is very important to be specific in your goals and resolutions.
This is one of the first years that I am excited about setting goals and making resolutions.
This past year was crazy for me in both good and bad ways. I guess the only “bad” thing that happened was my grandpa passing away. This hit me pretty hard. We’d been expecting it for years but no one actually thought he’d ever really die. As terrible as this loss was to my family and I, my grandpa passing away has impacted my life in so many positive ways. Don’t get me wrong, I would certainly rather have my grandpa in my life but that would be selfish. He was in so much pain during his last few years. I think the only reason he held on so long was because of us. He knew how hard my mom and I would take it when he passed away. He expected us to fall apart. I’m glad to say that I think we handled the loss of him well. He’d be proud at how responsible and level headed we all were (most of the time).
I think I’m going to start just listing the things that I am thankful for from this year, that might make this seem less jumpy.
- Thanks to my wonderful grandparents I now have the opportunity to go to school full time without having to work. I am in awe of the people who can work a full time job and attend school at the same time, unfortunately, I am not one of those people. Thanks to the financial support of my grandparents and the moral support of my family and fiancé, I am able to focus on completing my education. Now if only I was the perfect student 😉
- My grandparents wanted to make sure that my mother, my sister, and I would be taken care of. I can’t tell you how shocked I was to see how prepared they were. I think that we had the easiest time ever closing my grandpa’s estate because he was so prepared. I am so appreciative of that, I can’t even tell you.
- 2011 was the year that Bobby and I were able to officially and completely crawl out of that deep abyss known as debt. Thank God!
- As bad as it sounds, I have to say I appreciate the fact that Bobby and I got to spoil ourselves a bit this year. New bed, couch, dining room table, among other things that we probably shouldn’t have bought. I am proud of the home that we have made together though, I finally feel like a grownup. I think we have officially gotten rid of most of our hand-me-down furniture. Nothing is wrong with hand-me-downs but it is an amazing feeling when you are able to purchase brand new things on your own for the first time.
- I lost 67 pounds in 2011! Woot! Everyone knows that my weight has been a huge struggle for me and this was the year that I was finally able to begin getting myself under control. Hopefully 2012 holds many more pounds lost!
- Travel travel travel! I’ve never gotten to travel much in my life but this year was awesome! In the summer my mom, sister, and I took a road trip down the California coast and saw some amazing things. (It’s all somewhere in this blog if you’re curious) In late August Bobby and I got to visit Seattle, WA for the second time. It was amazing! I’m finally starting to understand that city! Hopefully 2012 will bring another trip to Seattle and I already know it’s bringing a trip to Boston, MA!
- I think this was a great year for me when it comes to hobbies. I really found my grove with my earring design. I haven’t done much in the last few months but as soon as we move (hopefully soon) I plan to get back in it!
- This has been an interesting year in friendship. I’ve reconnected with a few old friends (Amanda and Andrea) and I’ve grown closer to others (Brandy). A friend also returned from a long stint in the Navy (Jeni). My goal for this year is to have more people over and see some friends who I rarely see more (like Jeni, dammit! We never see eachtoher, you may as well still be in Italy!)
- One of the last awesome things to happen in the year (and probably the awesomest) is that Bobby and I are ENGAGED! Heck yes! Six years in and I finally got him! J He proposed on December 23rd at approximately 6:30pm. It was very romantic! He took me to the park where we shared our first kiss and in the exact same spot that he smooched he got down on one knee and popped the question. We are extremely happy! Wedding date is currently planned to be June 29, 2013.
I’m almost positive I’ve forgotten things that I wanted to share but I can always blog again. This post originally had intentions of discussing my goals and resolutions for 2012 but ended up just being a reflection of 2011. I’m okay with that. I have a lot I want to blog this year and hopefully, like I say every year, I’ll take advantage of this little spot on the internet and blog away.